New yarn and new techniques brought my new favorite winter hats this season. Crocheted bean stitch, knit pillars, and a soft chunky yarn from Loops & Threads.

The top left pattern is a modified version of the Malia Beanie – Pattern by Little Monkeys Crochet at littlemonkeyscrochet.com. I modified this pattern by using a chunky yarn (rather than a worsted weight) and a K hook size – thereby decreasing the number of chains required for the vertical rows (I used 22: 18 for the main section and 4 for the brim). I also eliminated the 3rd round of the magic circle and worked directly from the 2nd round. To compensate for the loss of chains on the 3rd round of the magic circle, I (randomly and inadvertently) created 2 rows from each chain rather than moving to the next for every row. Also, for the large bean stitch, I pulled through after 6 sts on the hook rather than 8 – again, to compensate for the bulkier yarn. And finally, at the end of my rows, I crocheted (using a slip-stitch) the last row to the first (rather than sewing together). That gave me an additional row of a raised chain but I could have eliminated this by ending one or two rows earlier.

Added note on size: this hat turned out to be a Large, or possibly even XL. Since I was somewhat winging-it with the modifications I was really happy how it turned out but would like to try again with a little more systematic approach. Working from the 2nd round of the magic circle gives you 24 chains to work your rows from, and if you start 2 rows from each chain you’ll end up with 48 rows.

The bottom two hats use some of the Carbon Copy pattern from Sarah Keller at knotanotherhat.com.
Here again I used Loops & Threads, Charisma – a bulky yarn, with US 8 circular needles.
I inverted the purl rows for knit and used 2×2 ribbing for the brims.
With the blue I stopped short of a slouch hat because I wanted this for a ski hat and it turned out great – it’s warm and stays on tight! With the off-white I completed the full slouch but it makes a really bulky (read: heavy) slouch hat. It’s okay but not my favorite.
Regarding size: I cast on 72 sts and used about 10 rows of 2×2 ribbing for the brim. This created a ladies M/L.
Regarding the rows/pattern: After the brim I purled for 2 rows then knit for 6.
The “pillar” rows can be done in any way – on the blue hat I purled for only 1 row before beginning the 1×1 ribbing – but for the white hat I purled 2 rows before the 1×1 ribbing.
No matter how it’s done, the pillars give the hat some flexibility – especially important with a bulky yarn using size 8 needles – otherwise you get a stiff hat that’s not very form-fitting. Also, these are really quick and easy to make so I plan to do a few more and will try to post a standard size chart for the ski hat in S/M/L after a few more.

Winter Thread for your Head

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s