This pattern has turned into one of my favorites for whipping up an awesome winter skirt – great over leggings, paired with some cute boots – this skirt provides warmth for even the coldest winters.
Lanesplitter – 2019 (second skirt)
My second Lanesplitter skirt, a year later, turned out much better than the first. This time I turned it inside-out and crocheted the waistband directly to the edge. Similarly, I followed the same pattern resulting in a simple rectangle then stitched the short edges together to form the skirt. Following that, I added the waistband and pulled the looseness together by crocheting in the round and decreasing chains as I went.
⦁ US 10 1/2 straight needles (for body of skirt)
⦁ J – 5.75mm crochet hook (for waistband)
⦁ [MC – A] Gina, Plymouth Yarn Co. – 100% wool; 50g/109 yds – color #0017 (blues, greens and brown) ($7/skein) (these are the background colors)
⦁ [CC – B] – 100% cottons for green/blue, 100% buffalo for brown (no tags, came from WI farm) (these are the ridge colors)
⦁ [Waistband – C] – Loops & Threads Bulky Charisma (biege).
Lanesplitter – 2018 (first attempt)
Notes: I needed 6 skeins of Noro Kureyon colors #102 and #149. The original pattern calls for Tahki Cotton Classic for the contrasting color but the following a display skirt from Yarnology in Winona, MN I used all wool instead.
I obtained the following measurements (after blocking), trying for the M size (19.5 on increase, 36 on the straight, and 144 CO for the waistband):
15″ – top width (with 144 co for the waistband)
18″ – bottom width
25″ – length (turned out MUCH longer than expected!)
Also, for adding the waistband, I inserted the skirt into the waistband and crocheted it together. I lined up the bound off edge of the waistband with the top of the skirt, and then crocheted into it (see pics). I used only single crochet and kept the yarn on the backside (instead of passing over the top).
Since the skirt edge circumference was larger than the waistband, and rather floppy, I tried to bunch up the skirt edge a little bit with every single crochet and it worked out rather well.