Monthly Archives: September 2018

This pattern created a girls’ size 7.

This is an easy, no-brainer pattern that results in a one-of-a-kind skirt!

Supplies:
US 7 straight needles
18-20 sts = 4 inches
2 balls of Santorini (58% viscose / 42% cotton); 50 g / 125 yds; (color shown is #2108)
hand wash cool, dry flat

Steps:
CO 120 sts
Then choose ANY stitch you desire for each row. I randomly chose out of these various row styles:

  1. Knit entire row
  2. Purl entire row
  3. Double-wrap knit row (wrap around your needle twice, instead of once as in a normal knit) -> results in a triangular stitch.
  4. Two-needle wrap, knit row (wrap once around both needles) -> creates a twisted stitch.
  5. These 3 rows in combination:
    • k1, *yo, yo, k1*, k1
    • k1, *k2, p1*, k1
    • k1, *k3tog*, k1
  6. These 3 rows in combination:
    • k1, *yo, k1*, k1
    • knit
    • k1, *k2tog*, k1

I inadvertently obtained a slight flare at the bottom (beginning) of the skirt by using the following combination for the first 9 rows:

    • 1 knit row
    • 1 double-wrap row
    • 1 knit row
    • 1 purl row
    • 1 knit row
    • 3 rows of # 5 above
    • 1 double-wrap row
    • 1 knit row
    • 3 rows of #6 above

After that I omitted the #5 combination since it widened the skirt when I wanted it to remain rectangular (at least for the remainder, anyway) and added a rayon liner.

Lanesplitter (knitty.com)

This pattern has turned into one of my favorites for whipping up an awesome winter skirt – great over leggings, paired with some cute boots – this skirt provides warmth for even the coldest winters.


Lanesplitter – 2019 (second skirt)

IMG_20190826_183441

My second Lanesplitter skirt, a year later, turned out much better than the first. This time I turned it inside-out and crocheted the waistband directly to the edge. Similarly, I followed the same pattern resulting in a simple rectangle then stitched the short edges together to form the skirt. Following that, I added the waistband and pulled the looseness together by crocheting in the round and decreasing chains as I went.

⦁ US 10 1/2 straight needles (for body of skirt)
⦁ J – 5.75mm crochet hook (for waistband)
⦁ [MC – A] Gina, Plymouth Yarn Co. – 100% wool; 50g/109 yds – color #0017 (blues, greens and brown) ($7/skein) (these are the background colors)
⦁ [CC – B] – 100% cottons for green/blue, 100% buffalo for brown (no tags, came from WI farm) (these are the ridge colors)
⦁ [Waistband – C] – Loops & Threads Bulky Charisma (biege).


Lanesplitter – 2018 (first attempt)

 

Notes: I needed 6 skeins of Noro Kureyon colors #102 and #149. The original pattern calls for Tahki Cotton Classic for the contrasting color but the following a display skirt from Yarnology in Winona, MN I used all wool instead.

I obtained the following measurements (after blocking), trying for the M size (19.5 on increase, 36 on the straight, and 144 CO for the waistband):
15″ – top width (with 144 co for the waistband)
18″ – bottom width
25″ – length (turned out MUCH longer than expected!)

Also, for adding the waistband, I inserted the skirt into the waistband and crocheted it together. I lined up the bound off edge of the waistband with the top of the skirt, and then crocheted into it (see pics). I used only single crochet and kept the yarn on the backside (instead of passing over the top).

  

Since the skirt edge circumference was larger than the waistband, and rather floppy, I tried to bunch up the skirt edge a little bit with every single crochet and it worked out rather well.